[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) The lunar eclipse: well . . . at least my sister saw it!

A bit off-topic, but . . .

      Two weeks before the Great East Coast Solar Eclipse of March 1970 there
was a very small partial eclipse of the Moon (5%?) which occurred at around
3:30 in the morning.  On that morning I awakened at the appointed time and
viewed this less-than-inspiring event through a small 1.7" zoom (13-40x)
terrestrial spotting scope.  For whatever reason, I decided at the maximum
phase of the eclipse to wake my 10-year old sister, Lisa, to have a look.
Her eyes bleary and half closed, she had a 1.2 second look through my scope,
turned to me and said, "nice . . . " and immediately headed back to her warm
bed.  I felt that it never registered in her mind at all.

Now, fast forward 31 years later:

       Because of circumstances beyond my control, I was unable to look for
the rising Moon and the residual effects of the European total lunar eclipse
because I was working (we were, in fact, in the middle of our normal 4:30
newscast).  I actually wondered just how many people would attempt to view
it.

       But just before 5:00, Lisa called to tell me that she saw the rising
Moon and a small scallop of the Earth's shadow from her east-facing terrace
(she lives in Throggs Neck/The Bronx).  She said there was some pretty sunset
colors in the west and that the Moon itself had a pinkish hue as it rose
through the horizon haze.

ME:  "So you saw it?"
LISA: "Yeah, I used the binoculars you got me for Christmas."
ME: "How did it look?"
LISA: "Remember when we were kids and you woke me up in the middle
         of the night to show me some stupid little eclipse; I was so tired
and
         I didn't want to hurt your feelings so I said 'nice!'  Remember?
ME: "Yeah."
LISA: "Well, I saw the 'bite' on the Moon again today.  It looked like that.

And to think, all these years later and I thought she
never even noticed!

Good thing I woke her up!    :)
-- joe rao