[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Sleepiness

    I once read of a truck driver who stayed awake by continually eating. I
think he just kept eating potato chips.
I have developed a different strategy. I get salty plums, soak the flesh off
them, and just suck the pits; 'mock eating'; chew a bit, and move the pit
around the mouth with the tongue. This is a bit better for the waistline than
chips, and also helps combat sleepiness.

    The act of chewing appears to stimulate the brain. I think that is why
baseball players in the states like to chew gum or tobacco, (part of the 'look
of concentration'), and why farmers in Australia are known to pull out the
centre of a piece of grass to have a nibble when having a discussion with other
farmers, when out 'in the field'.

        Chewing 'nothing' is also very good for the oral hygiene, especially if
you floss and brush first. (By stimulating a high flow level of acid
neutralising saliva).

    If you want to try this strategy, you may be able to get salty plums in
your local chinatown; alternatively, a cherry  pit, or other suitable sized
seed might work. Chewing gum or sweets might also stimulate the brain, but long
exposure to high sugar levels is bad for the teeth. Soldiers in the Australian
Army (Korea vets) are known to suck a smooth stone, though this is more a
remedy for thirst. The stone is a bit to hard for my liking, as the hardness of
the stone is a threat to the teeth. A salty plum pit or cherry pit is hard
enough, but not hard enough to damage the teeth. Be ready to spit it out if you
feel like coughing or sneezing, so you don't swallow it.

    I would be very interested to get any feedback (either way). Direct to me
might be better, as this is not a mainstream meteorobs topic.

    Stuart.
    ©S. Saunders 20001