[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Fwd: Any fireball reports? (14 Jan 2001, 01:00 PST, CA, USA)

NOTE: Constance is not a current 'meteorobs' subscriber. If you follow up, be
sure to MANUALLY put 'DPDOYLE@aol.com' in the "Cc:" line of your reply!

Lew Gramer <owner-meteorobs@jovian.com>

------- Forwarded Message

From: DPDOYLE@aol.com
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 03:52:51 EST
Subject: Quick question
To: owner-meteorobs@jovian.com

Did anyone report a fireball over the San Fernando Valley, California, at
approximately 1 a.m. 1-13-01?  I glanced out my window and caught a glimpse
of a huge blue light going through the sky in a south east direction.  It was
not moving slow, but did not shoot across the sky either.  I watched it for
about 10 seconds, got up to go outside and take a closer look, and it was
gone, however, I did observe a huge thick streak in the sky or cloudy looking
trail.  The trail looked pretty low, meaning it looked as if it might be
between 20 to 30 thousand feet high, or low enough to be in airflight path.
The light in the sky was bigger visually than the planet venus, about 4 times
larger by the naked eye.  It also glowed or had a flourescent glow to it.

I am not a astronomer, but I have tried to pin point our degrees Lat, Long.
and this is the approximation 34.052 and 118.243 - however we are a little
north west of downtown Los Angeles next to Burbank.

I have heard no news in the media, and if someone could check it out and let
me know what it was, I would be grateful.  I have seen something like this
only one other time, and it is pretty spectacular to see, but fustrating to
not know what exactly this is.

Most sincerely,

Constance

------- End of Forwarded Message