[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Bielids

> With the first I agree, with the second not. We obtained a number of
> multistation orbits of Bielid meteors during the past years during the days
> around the Leonid maximum. The stream therefore appears still active albeit at
> low activity levels. The current radiant is located near RA 25, dec. +30, very
> slow meteors.

There seems to be something wrong with my original computation of
the 1812 trail - now it appears that this one also does not intersect
the earth orbit any more. I also looked at the trails back to about
1770, which also do not intersect the earth's orbit any longer. Marco
is of course right that very minor activity is possible, since dust trail
models cannot really exclude an activity. There may be some very
old material still crossing the earths orbit, and double station orbits
are of course very convincing evidence.

Hartwig

H. Luethen
h.luthen@botanik.uni-hamburgdot de
priv: Behnstr. 13, D-22767 Hamburg
lab: Institut fuer Allgemeine Botanik, Ohnhorststr. 18
     D-22609 Hamburg, Germany
Tel: 0049 (0)40-3800551 priv
     0049 (0)40-428-16-346