[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Travel plans for the 2001 Leonids?

In a message dated 1/18/01 3:41:25 PM Eastern Standard Time,
dedalus@latrade.com writes:

<< Do any of our readers have plans to do significant traveling in this
upcoming
 November? Are there perhaps even group trips in the early planning stages?
And
 if you are planning to "run after the Leonids" this year, where do you intend
 to go, and what predictive model or models are you basing your plans on? >>

    While there seems to be a distinct possibility of a display in the ZHR
range of 5000 to 10000 over eastern Asia and Australia, keep in mind that
North Americans may have chance of encountering a another meteor trail that
might produce ZHRs of 2000 to 2500.  These are the kind of rates being
suggested by Asher/McNaught, Lytinnen/Van Flandern and Brown/Cooke.  Not a
bad consolation prize!

      If there were only one (and only) shot at seeing a big outburst on the
other side of the globe I'd probably already have my travel tickets in hand;
but the prospects of being able to briefly see storm-levels from here in the
good old USA may very well keep me on this side of the world for 2001.

-- joe rao