[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Travel plans for the 2001 Leonids?

Hi all !

Joe :

>North Americans may have chance of encountering a another meteor
trail that
>might produce ZHRs of 2000 to 2500.  These are the kind of rates
being
>suggested by Asher/McNaught, Lytinnen/Van Flandern and Brown/Cooke.
Not a
>bad consolation prize!
>If there were only one (and only) shot at seeing a big outburst on
the
>other side of the globe I'd probably already have my travel tickets
in hand;
>but the prospects of being able to briefly see storm-levels from here
in the
>good old USA may very well keep me on this side of the world for
2001.

We had the chance to be at the right place in 1999 for the big leonid
show in Provence (3700 meteors per hour) and in Provence in 2000 again
for another good show ... This were incredible shows !
So, you're right when you say that 2000-2500 is not a consolation
prize. But, if you permit, I will give you an advice : if you can, go
to the area where the rates could be as high than 10000 or 15000 !
That is 4 to 6 times the US possible rates ! I think this is a once in
a life opportunity.
But for sure you know that Joe !

Well we will buy our tickets to the show as soon as possible, maybe in
a few month. But we are waiting for the "last minute" predictions from
our precious professionnal astronomers !
We are thinking about Japan, Thailand (cheapest destination), China,
extreme north of australia and Taiwan.
This last destination was not discussed by Hartwig, but it seems that
it can be a good choice. Weather prospects are good (about 6 rainy
days in november ; as good as Darwin, Australia), life level is good
and last but not least, there is some hight and accessible mountains
(more than 3500 m). Light pollution seems to be relatively low (enough
for promising observations) and Radiant will be hight in the sky. Why
not ?

Pacific Island will have a generally bad weather prospect (guam :
almost no clear days in november ; need to be forgotten !!)

If some other European wants to organize something, it will be a
pleasure for us to joint another group, or another group can joint
us..

Hartwig :

>I think in the monent various targets are in the discussion.
Australia,
>South Korea, some Pacific islands, China and Mongolia. At
>egroups.com there is a discussion group called LEO2001,
>specifically dealing with travel planning.

Can you tell us where this group is located and how is it possible to
subscribe to it ?

Christophe, France.