[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Dark Skies

Hola,
Guess it's time I sent some kind of report. Since I moved three months ago to
Costa Rica I've been working overtime to establish my business so I haven't
had much time for the night sky. Although we had crystal clear skies the days
before and after the peaks, the Leonids & the Gems were totally overcast
during the peaks. Drats!

Last night, however, was just beautiful. We suffer daily brown outs here, but
usually during the day. But the lights went out for quite a while after
midnight last night. There is no big city within 5 hours of here, so there is
no ambient light & it was soooo dark that I couldn't see 2 inches in front of
me inside the house. So, I had to go outside & check out the sky.

What a sight. Right outside my front door the big dipper was big & bright &
the sky was full of so many stars you never see in LA. I turned toward Orion
and saw a tiny meteor to the east of it. Encouraged, I felt my way down the
stairs and was rewarded by a short but bright meteor passing east to west
originating just a bit to the west and toward the horizon from Orion. It had
no persistent trail, but was about as bright as Jupiter. Don't know if it had
anything to do with January Coma Berenicids and the Xi Bootids, since I'm
pretty much a novice.

Well, that convinced me that I have to tear myself away from the computer and
take a little R&R and visit this beautiful sky we have here.

Question: what showers that will be coming up that are the best to view from
this location?  Long 85 degrees 50.18'  Lat 10 degrees 18.3'

Since we've been having trouble getting online lately, I may miss the list
that has the answer, so maybe someone could also send a response to me email
also as it will be safe on the AOL server. CindeeMcC@aol.com.

Thanks,
Cindee
Playa Tamarindo, Guanacaste