[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Star Party and early watch for Coma Berenicids

At 10:31 AM 1/21/01 -1000, Mike Linnolt wrote:

>As is typical for
>the fickle weather out here at sea level, it was clear and sunny in
>town, but overcast and rainy at the observing site!

I was there too - we simply have to meet sometime, Mike!

I walked around for a while to meet & greet before it got dark, then sat
down for bit with my gear waiting for it to clear.  I saw the flash above
the clouds... it  happened at 7:01, and looked like flickering full-moon
light, lasting for about 3 or 4 seconds.  I thought it had a bit of a
greenish cast, but that could be my fertile imagination.  I figured it was
at least a -13 fireball, and listened for the next 5 minutes for any sonic
booms, but no joy.

I had to work a 7 am shift this morning, so I sat in the rain for only
about half an hour before giving up and heading home.  By the time I got
home, about 8:30, it was still cloudy on the leeward side, and stayed
cloudy til I hit the sack at 11:30.  When I went out the door at 5:40 this
morning, it was of course nice and clear, with Centaurus and the Southern
Cross high in the south.

As usual, any astronomical event brings clouds and or rain!  I'm not going
to complain too much about the weather, though.... I was out there in my
t-shirt, shorts and flip-flops; I don't think our New England contingent
could get away with that this month!

Jim B.