[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) A view of Perception Coefficients from 3 years ago...

Cleaning up some VERY old emails in my archives today, I happened on the
following very clear and informative message from Rainer Arlt of IMO. He sent
this in reply to a query about individual Perception Coefficients I posted on
'meteorobs' way back in Summer of 1998... So my question now is: What is the
current state of Perception Coefficient studies, either in the Americas or
across the Water, and has the prevailing knowledge and opinion about these
individual correction factors changed in any significant way since 1998?

***

Note for newer members of the list: individual Perception Coefficient, or 'cP',
is one of several factors, including Limiting Magnitude (LM) and Percentage
Obstruction correction factor (F), which can be applied to an individual's
observed meteor rates, to derive a so-called Corrected Hourly Rate (HR). This
HR is in turn corrected for a given meteor shower's radiant altitude during
the time of the observation, to derive a so-called "Zenithal Hourly Rate" or
ZHR, which (in theory) can be compared across the entire globe, over many
nights and many, many observers under widely varying conditions.

In the particular case of 'cP', this correction is intended to account for all
the differences in meteor perception attributable to one particular individual,
regardless of that observer's recorded LM or F factors at any given time. In
effect, 'cP' is a "fudge factor" meant to be constant for the observer, across
multiple nights and conditions. However, note that Rainer is in fact saying
that cP for a given individual is NOT a constant number, but rather a function
dependent on some characteristics of the particular shower being observed.

Clear skies,
Lew Gramer