Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 15:54:18 +0000
To: Roy Tucker <tucker@noaodot edu>
From: "Alan W. Harris" <awharris@lithos.jpl.nasadot gov>
Subject: Re: Halley's Comet Returns In Bits And Pieces
Cc: mplist@bitnik.com

At 04:09 PM 10/28/98 -0700, Roy Tucker wrote:
>     The thought crossed my mind that some folks might not have a good
>feeling for how much energy 8,000 joules is. This little ten milligram dust
>grain moving at 40 kilometers per second has enough energy to lift one
>metric ton a distance of about 0.8 meters or about 32 inches.

Perhaps a more relevant comparison is to note that one watt is a joule per
second.  So 8,000 joules is like an 8 KW light for one second, or an 80 KW
light for 0.1 second.  A typical meteor going that speed flashes for only a
few tenths of a second, so its peak luminosity would be like a ~20 KW
light.  Pretty easy to see from quite a distance, in a dark sky.  There is
a factor of "luminous efficiency" to consider, but that is about the same
for a meteor as for an incandescent lightbulb, so the comparison to a 20 KW
light bulb is probably not bad.  I have to confess I've never seen a 20 KW
lightbulb for sale, but I expect it would really light up your living room
if you could find one.

Cheers,

Alan Harris

------- End of Forwarded Message