[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Observation on Jan 23 (UT) from Maryland

   The highlight of the session was an (estimated) -6 FB seen at an altitude
of 5 degrees in the southwest sky at 8:59UT.  I didn't actually see the
fireball, but the terminal flare's light illuminated the nearby clouds and
caught my attention.  I did see a two second train which was about 1.5
degrees long, first magnitude, and bluish.  The train was elongated so that
I could easily trace the meteor's path backward.  Prolonged enough
backwards, it could have come from eastern Leo or Coma Berenices.
   Because the short session's sky conditions deteriorated from marginal to
poor, I didn't expect to see any meteors.  However I saw and plotted two
other meteors in addition to the fireball.  I was forced to stop observing
by complete cloud cover.  Details below:

   January 23, 2001  8:25-9:14 UT  Teff=0.70  F=1.17  Lm=4.5
Site: longitude 76 deg 38min W, latitude 38 deg 47 min N (IMO Site #25112)
Field center= RA 12h  Dec +22 deg  Temperature= -11C/ +12F

   METEOR DATA
      MAG       BEGINNING POINT          END POINT        ERROR

                  RA      DEC           RA      DEC

      +4        12h 30m  +21 30m      12h 10m  +22 30m    +/-4min RA,
                                                          +/- 1deg DEC

      -6 (train) 9h 0m   -33deg        8h 55m  -34deg     +/-8 min RA
                                                          +/- 2 deg DEC

      0         12h 0m   +56deg       14h 10m  +20deg     +/-4minRA
                                                          +/-1deg D

   Richard Taibi