[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Telescopic Meteors (was Re: January Coma Berenicids...)

Dave English wrote:
> Lew said that binoculars should be mounted to observer telescopic
> meteors but I've found it to be very hard on the neck, legs and back trying
> to look though mounted binoculars. What I did do was adapt a small branch

It depends how you mount the binocular.  If it's on a tripod and you
have to stand up, cricking your neck, it won't be comfortable.

Designs I've seen include the following.

  - A low tripod with a long arm and counterweight.  The binocular
    is on a swivelling mount.  Thus you can use a garden lounger to
    observe with your neck supported.

  - An overhanging angle-poise arrangement.

  - Two A-mounts with a broad platform between them that can straddle
    a lounger.

  - The monopod style Dave mentioned.  Jan Holland (Brno) had a basic
    design where you could attach to an existing post, or take your
    own.  We first saw them at an early IMO IMC.  He was going to
    market it in the USA, but I've seen nothing.  I'd have certainly
    bought a few for Telescopic Commission to loan to observers.
    Does any one have a current e-mail address for Jan?

Here are some references for ideas.

"A Simple Binocular Mount for Meteor Work', 1990 WGN, 18:4 pp.158-162
"Building a Reclining Binocular Mount", S&T 1993 Apr pp.90-92
"The Hi-lite Binocular Support", S&T 1988 July, p.38
"Build a Binocular 'Sky Scanner'", Astronomy 1988 Feb pp.64-67
"An Easy Chair for Binocular Viewing", S&T 1985 Feb p.171
"A Merry-go-round Binocluar Chair", S&T 1985 Feb p.172
"A Simple Mirror System for Binoculars", S&T 1982 Nov pp.488-489
"Comfort for Observers: An Observing Chair", S&T 1981 Feb pp.161-164
"An Altazimuth Observing Chair for Binoculars", S&T 1979 May, pp.487-489
"A Motorized Observing Chair for Binoculars", S&T 1974 Jan pp.51-54

I also have some brochures for marketed products.  They seem expensive
to me, especially compared with Jan Holland's makeshift but practical
design.

>      After using the branch for several weeks I carved on it and now I rarely
> take the binoculars out without the mono pod. It's 24 inches long, maybe
> 26" would have been better, it has a 45 degree cut at the top so it can snug
> into the center works and is about 1" thick. Old wooden broom or mop
> handles would work but maybe start at 28" and cut down to best size. It
> works great for daytime viewing too.

If you have a design you'd like to share with prospective telescopic
observers, please send me more details, and I'll add it to the
package I send out.  The tricky bit was the attachment to the binocular
that enabled pivoting without slippage.

Malcolm