[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Reviving the old "where to look" discussion (NOT!)

Lew,

When I was advising observers to look close to the radiant this was
meant for observing any potential January Coma Berenicids. Your method
of watching 20 to 30 degrees away from the radiant is perfectly
acceptable for major showers. The example listed in the IMO Handbook
uses a sporadic "pollution" of 2 meteors per hour and a major shower
producing 80 meteors per hour. It's stated that with a major shower in
progress at that strength the relative error (the number of sporadics
accidentally included) in shower association is only 2.5 percent. If the
hourly rate is only 4 (minor shower strength) then the relative error is
50 percent! Therefore under minor shower conditions it is imperative to
look closer to the radiant so that all of the shower members seen would
be short and slow. This most definitely aids in their identification.

Sorry I could not provide more hard numbers. Perhaps one of our more
mathematically gifted readers could comment.

Clear Skies!

Bob Lunsford