[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Kuiper Belt Objects

Lew can't seen to get into the Kuiper Belt controversy but within the last
month I've taken an interest in them as the source of atmospheric gasses
for terraforming Mars. Yes they are very, very far away but it is a source
for an atmosphere that occasional visiting comets fall far short, like the 5
km comet reported to be approaching the sun now, would have only about
.006% of the needed gasses for an atmosphere on Mars for an equivelient
8500 foot Earth elevation (E-mb-750).  The point is, if you want to learn
more about the Kuiper Belt Objects, a pdf file by David Jewitt, co-discover
of the first KBO located, can be downloaded (I recommend printed out too as
its 26 pages) at:

              http://www.ifa.hawaiidot edu/faculty/jewitt/kb.html

     path:  (1) latest research   (2)#8 Annual Review  (3) annrev.pdf

     For my purposes I found it very interesting and informative. Mr. Jewitt
seems to avoid the issue about Pluto being a planet or not, he does call it a
planet several times, but gives information that may support demoting
Pluto in his 1999 paper to the largest of the Kuiper Belt Objects, the
source of (most?) short term comets and meteors too.

                                           Dave English
                                           Oceanside, California