[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Excerpts from "CCNet 18/2001 - 1 February 2001"

Among the items deleted from this issue were two very long, very erudite
essays on the history, etymology (and entomology!), and cultural aspects
of naming of various solar system bodies. Of interest to meteor observers
were references by University of Georgia (USA) Head Librarian Bob Kobres
(bkobres@ugadot edu) to ancient Babylonian texts possibly describing meteor
storms, fireballs or comets - along with Bob's analysis of the possible
meanings of these words in the context of their texts.

Of additional interest to meteoroids, in another deleted item, Dr. Duncan
Steel pens the following intriguing lines about comets-cum-asteroids that
were new to this writer:

>Now let's apply that concept to the smaller bodies in the solar system, at
>least those in heliocentric orbits (i.e. leave aside all moons/natural
>satellites, and ring systems). It would appear that one population of small
>bodies are made of rock and metal. We call these asteroids, or minor
>planets. There are some cross-over examples: asteroids produced from dead or
>dormant comets (e.g. 4015 Wilson-Harrington).
>
>I am entirely happy to have all these minor planets/asteroids numbered in
>that big sequence, so long as they are not comets. That means that I think
>that 2060 Chiron should really have been a comet Kowal, but mistakes get
>made as we progress and we really didn't know in 1977 (when it was
>discovered) that it would make the cross-over in the opposite direction:
>becoming active (producing a coma/atmosphere) as it neared perihelion.

Clear skies!
Lew Gramer