[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Observation Feb 1/2

Hi!

	After a cloudy and rainy January with a grand total of a single
clear night, February looks more promising, at least at the moment. Last
night the sky cleared and I could observe in the morning. With a LM 6.4
the sky was really crystal clear, but it was cold, mighty cold! The
thermometer showed -9 C and there was a constant wind from the north.

	I planned to observe from 4 to 6 am local to check for any XBO
activity. The cold got me a lot sooner and I finished at 5:22. Nonetheless
there was considerable activity. In 1.3h teff there were 18 sporadics, the
best of which was a -2 medium speed orange meteor in Bootes that left a
5 second train. Later, inside, when checking the plots it came as a bit
of a surprise to find 5 meteors converging in a pretty tight radiant
around 15h35m, +22. Two were too slow, but the remaining three fit the
characteristics of possible Xi Bootids fairly well. I think I'll check
the activity again this morning, of course if the weather holds.

The sporadics came in an interesting order tonight: it first took 14
minutes for the first one to appear, then 10 appeared in 28 minutes.
The remainder of the period was somewhat less active with 7 more. I
was quite tempted to stay the remaining 40 minutes until dawn, but my
fingers suggested otherwise.
I also kept an eye out for any possible Lambda Herculids, a possible
obscure stream reported last year by Roberto Haver. I saw nothing that
came near to the reported radiant.

The summary:

Period		F	teff	LM	XBO	VIR	Spor
03:02-04:22UT	1.10	1.30	6.40	3	0	18

Magnitude distribution:
Spor:	-2(1) +1(4) +2(4) +3(3.5) +4(1.5) +5(2.5) +6(0.5)
XBO:	+2(1) +3(1) +4(1)

Clear skies!

Jure A.