[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) About the New Radiants in Novembers

About the New Radiants in Novembers

From 1998 to present, I observed Leonids every year. In 1998 and 1999, I
maped all the meteors which I saw on sky-maps. In 2000, there
appeared too much sporadics from northern sky in particular. I guess there
must be an unknown radiant, so I found out all the data I make in other
Novembers to study. In my surprised, in about 18 hours, totally 30
meteors came from a same radiant (AUP). A few months later, I got some more
data in that dates(from November 15th to November 19th) in very different
place. I found that all the new data had meteors who were from the New
Radiant. This is the most major radiant, besides this one, there's possible
another two minor ones, too.
  For these problems above, I sorted out all the data again carefully. Then
the same result was got. I named them names for facility. The data of all
the new radiants is below.

AUP
   Active : November 16-20;
  Maximum: November 17/18 (or later soon, it can last a few days);
  ZHR    = 20 (between 5 and 60, it's most possible to be 10 to 25);
  Radiant: Alpha=76 deg; Delta=+36 deg. (Comprehensive result, to max.);
  V      = unknown (about 60 km/s, perhaps);
  r      = unknown (2.5, tentative);
  Remarks: Alpha=70 deg; Delta=+35 deg; (Huan Meng,1998 Nov. 16th/17th)
           Alpha=80 deg; Delta=+37 deg; (Huaiming Sun, 1999 Nov. 15th/16th)
           Alpha=75 deg; Delta=+43 deg; (Huan Meng, 1999 Nov. 17th/18th)
           Alpha=74 deg; Delta=+42 deg; (Sixiaoxiao Ning, 1999 Nov.
17th/18th)
           Alpha=73 deg; Delta=+45 deg; (Xuefei Gong, 1999 Nov. 17th/18th)
           AUP: Aurigids-Perseids.
CAC
  Active : unknown;
  Maximum: unknown;
  ZHR    = unknown (between 1 and 10, perhaps);
  Radiant: Alpha=85 deg; Delta=+74 deg. (Comprehensive result, to Nov.
17/18);
  V      = unknown;
  r      = unknown;
  Remarks: CAC: Camelopardalids-Cepheids.
OPS:
  Active : unknown;
  Maximum: unknown;
  ZHR    = unknown (between 1 and 5, perhaps);
  Radiant: Alpha=11 deg; Delta=+10 deg. (Comprehensive result, to Nov.
17/18);
  V      = unknown;
  r      = unknown;
  Remarks: OPS: Omega-Piscids.

  In 2000, I observed the Leonids again. This time I make a tape record, and
make no maps. But the number of spordics was still too much. In the tape, I
said: There seemed to be a new radiant in the area between Auriga and
Perseus. Attention: The time I knew the coordinate of the new radiant is one
and half months later than the time I observed Leonids 2000.
  After all the work, I found there may be another problem-- The Radiant
Opposite to the Sun. The radius of it should be very large. Jin Zhu from
Beijing Astronomical Observatory told me that the radius of it could reach
more than 10 degrees. There the new radiant maybe attached to
it. But the area of the Opposite Radiant spread to the east, but the new
radiant is to the northwest. The other reason, if we labeled all of them
into NTA or STA, we'd find the ZHR of it will be much higher than normality.
  Then I looked up other helpful visual data in Visual Meteor Database, but
found none. That's because when the Leonids were shown, almost all the
observers recorded ONLY LEO, but didn't record others as carefully as LEO,
they even mixed all the meteors which wasn't LEO into SPO, and didn't pay
attention to the source of that kind of meteors!
  The work to make sure the new radiant is now finished. I used totally 4
slights of data to make sure the coordinate, and 5 to make sure the ZHR.
  I think we should check out the showers result in this and next years
again to know more about them. Call for more observation at different places
in this and next years. It will be very important.

Endnotes
[1]Robert Lunsford, "IMO-news", Meteor Activity Outlook for November 3-9,
2000, (2000 Nov. 2).
[2]Robert Lunsford, "IMO-news", Meteor Activity Outlook for November 17-23,
2000, (2000 Nov. 15).
[3]Huan Meng, "BBS SMTH Tsinghua, Board Astronomy", [Meteor] the Conclusion
of the New Radiants, (2000 Dec. 6), 6524.
[4]Huan Meng, "BBS SMTH Tsinghua, Board Astronomy", The New Radiant of
Meteor Had Made Sure, (2001 Jan. 1), 6935.

All best wishes and Clear skies!
Huan Meng   meteorobs@263dot net