[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) OT-Power Crisis to reduce light pollution (somewhat)

I found this interesting. Perhaps it's a good time to bring the waste of
electricity through light pollution to the attention of our gummint
officials

Wayne

EXECUTIVE ORDER D-19-01
by the
Governor of the State of California

WHEREAS, on January 17, 2001, I proclaimed a State of Emergency to exist
due
to the energy shortage in the State of California; and

WHEREAS, efforts by California residents to conserve energy are essential
alleviating the energy shortage; and

WHEREAS, substantial amounts of electricity are consumed through
unnecessary
outdoor lighting by retail establishments after business hours, including
but
not limited to, shopping centers, auto malls and dealerships; and

WHEREAS, it is imperative that unnecessary consumption of electricity be
eliminated to mitigate the effects of this emergency; and

WHEREAS, the energy shortage is a matter of public safety;

NOW, THEREFORE, I, GRAY DAVIS, Governor of the State of California, by
virtue of the power and authority vested in me by the Constitution and the
statutes of the State of California, including the California Emergency
Services
Act,
and in furtherance of my Proclamation of a State of Emergency, do hereby
issue this order:

All California retail establishments, including but not limited to shopping
centers, auto malls and dealerships, shall substantially reduce maximum
outdoor lighting capability during non-business hours, except as necessary
for the health and safety of the public, employees, or property.

"Maximum outdoor lighting capability" means the total amount of wattage
used
in outdoor lighting to illuminate the outdoor premises of the retail
establishment.

On or before February 9, 2001, the Office of Emergency Services in
consultation with the Commissioner of the California Highway Patrol and the
Sheriffs of the following counties: Los Angeles, Orange, Santa Barbara,
Alameda, Shasta, Stanislaus, Sacramento, Fresno, and San Bernardino shall
develop plans:  (1) for the voluntary implementation of this order as soon
as practicable and (2) the mandatory implementation of the provisions of
this order by March 15, 2001.

The Technology, Trade and Commerce Agency shall be responsible for
publication, notification, and communication about this Executive Order
to the public, retail establishments and local officials.  The State and
Consumer Services Agency and the Office of Emergency Services shall assist
the Technology, Trade and Commerce Agency, as needed.  The Technology,
Trade and Commerce Agency, working with the State and Consumer Services
Agency, shall submit a report recommending additional steps by commercial
establishments to conserve energy.

Failure to comply with this order following a warning by law enforcement
officials shall be punishable as a misdemeanor with a fine not to exceed
$1000, in accordance with section 8665 of the California Government Code.

I FURTHER DIRECT that as soon as hereafter possible, this order be filed
in the Office of the Secretary of State and that widespread publicity and
notice be given to this order.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand and caused the Great Seal
of California to be affixed this 1st day of February 2001.

Governor of California

ATTEST:

Secretary of State