[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) McNaught-Hartley

Dear Chrissy,

The brightest comet now visible is C/1999 T1 (McNaught-Hartley).
It is currently in southern Hercules, heading in a NE direction
(about a degree per day), passing near the bright star beta
Herculis. A finder chart is available at the sky&tel website:

http://www.skypub.com/sights/images2001/0102cometmcnhar_big.
gif

The precise location is given by the following ephemeris for the
next week:

Date          RA (h m)   Dec (° m)
2001 02 04    16 31.21   +17 34.0
2001 02 05    16 33.95   +18 34.3
2001 02 06    16 36.69   +19 34.6
2001 02 07    16 39.42   +20 34.9
2001 02 08    16 42.15   +21 35.0
2001 02 09    16 44.87   +22 34.9
2001 02 10    16 47.58   +23 34.7
2001 02 11    16 50.28   +24 34.2

However, it has been fading quite a bit over the last week and is
around mag 8.5-9 now. Pretty hard to see in binoculars, so if you
want to impress the kids, better use a big scope in a dark sky
location!

Good Luck!
Mike Linnolt.

On 4 Feb 2001, at 16:05, Sassybrat6952648@aol.com wrote:

> DEAR SKY WATCHER:
> MAY I ASK WHERE YOU LIVE?  IM IN SAN DIEGO CA AND, AM, IN SEEING COMET C/1999
> T 1 MC NAUGHT-HARTLEY  (OR ANY COMET THAT IS VISIBLE IN THIS AREA)  IM NOT
> SURE WHERE TO LOOK  OR IF IT IS VISIBLE IN THE SAN DIEGO SKY IM KINDA NEW TO
> THIS AND WOULD LIKE TO SHOW A GROUP OF KIDS I WORK WITH  IF YOU WOULD BE SO
> KIND AS TO HELP  AND EMAIL ME BACK I WOULD BE GRATEFUL
>
>                      THANKYOU,
>
>                       CHRISSY H

Follow-Ups: References: