[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: About the New Radiants in Novembers

It seems to me that if in fact such a strong radiant existed others
would have noticed it during their Leonid watches. It is true that the
Leonids were the main focus of everyone's attention and this could have
diverted attention away from any other activity.

Huan Meng has done us a service by calling our attention to these
possible areas of activity. I hope that during next November observers
will keep a look out for this activity in addition to the established
radiants.

Best Wishes!

Robert Lunsford

Huan Meng wrote:

> About the New Radiants in Novembers
>
> >From 1998 to present, I observed Leonids every year. In 1998 and 1999, I
> maped all the meteors which I saw on sky-maps. In 2000, there
> appeared too much sporadics from northern sky in particular. I guess there
> must be an unknown radiant, so I found out all the data I make in other
> Novembers to study. In my surprised, in about 18 hours, totally 30
> meteors came from a same radiant (AUP). A few months later, I got some more
> data in that dates(from November 15th to November 19th) in very different
> place. I found that all the new data had meteors who were from the New
> Radiant. This is the most major radiant, besides this one, there's possible
> another two minor ones, too.
>   For these problems above, I sorted out all the data again carefully. Then
> the same result was got. I named them names for facility. The data of all
> the new radiants is below.
>
> AUP
>    Active : November 16-20;
>   Maximum: November 17/18 (or later soon, it can last a few days);
>   ZHR    = 20 (between 5 and 60, it's most possible to be 10 to 25);
>   Radiant: Alpha=76 deg; Delta=+36 deg. (Comprehensive result, to max.);
>   V      = unknown (about 60 km/s, perhaps);
>   r      = unknown (2.5, tentative);
>   Remarks: Alpha=70 deg; Delta=+35 deg; (Huan Meng,1998 Nov. 16th/17th)
>            Alpha=80 deg; Delta=+37 deg; (Huaiming Sun, 1999 Nov. 15th/16th)
>            Alpha=75 deg; Delta=+43 deg; (Huan Meng, 1999 Nov. 17th/18th)
>            Alpha=74 deg; Delta=+42 deg; (Sixiaoxiao Ning, 1999 Nov.
> 17th/18th)
>            Alpha=73 deg; Delta=+45 deg; (Xuefei Gong, 1999 Nov. 17th/18th)
>            AUP: Aurigids-Perseids.
> CAC
>   Active : unknown;
>   Maximum: unknown;
>   ZHR    = unknown (between 1 and 10, perhaps);
>   Radiant: Alpha=85 deg; Delta=+74 deg. (Comprehensive result, to Nov.
> 17/18);
>   V      = unknown;
>   r      = unknown;
>   Remarks: CAC: Camelopardalids-Cepheids.
> OPS:
>   Active : unknown;
>   Maximum: unknown;
>   ZHR    = unknown (between 1 and 5, perhaps);
>   Radiant: Alpha=11 deg; Delta=+10 deg. (Comprehensive result, to Nov.
> 17/18);
>   V      = unknown;
>   r      = unknown;
>   Remarks: OPS: Omega-Piscids.
>
>   In 2000, I observed the Leonids again. This time I make a tape record, and
> make no maps. But the number of spordics was still too much. In the tape, I
> said: There seemed to be a new radiant in the area between Auriga and
> Perseus. Attention: The time I knew the coordinate of the new radiant is one
> and half months later than the time I observed Leonids 2000.
>   After all the work, I found there may be another problem-- The Radiant
> Opposite to the Sun. The radius of it should be very large. Jin Zhu from
> [...]

Follow-Ups: References: