[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: what does a meteorite look like?

> On Thu, 8 Feb 2001 08:26:54 -0800, "Ed Majden" wrote:
>
> "We don't want the meteorite getting lost to science
> because the price has been driven up in some
> collectors market and often lost to the people who
> should be studying it for clues about the origins of
> the solar system."
>
> Ed,
> Can you name ANY meteorite that has ever been "lost to
> the people who should be studying it" due to it's high
> "price" or because a "collector" had kept it away from
> researchers?
>
> Bob V.

There are many meteorites taken out of Australia illegally that are not
available to Australian researchers.  The usual "excuse" given is that
they were there for Australian researchers to find and the meteorites
are now available for researchers to purchase.  This is a criminal act
and any defense of it, by researchers or authorities in other countries
should not be condoned.

Follow-Ups: References: