[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) "Watching" bolides descend from the sky??

>This explanation would not fit with the descriptions of many witnesses,
>including two gentlemen who saw the bolide from an airplane, who actually
>describe seeing the "smoking trail" pass OVERHEAD.

Reading this post over after I sent it, I realized that the above sentence
was very poorly written. The two flyers did NOT describe seeing the bolide
pass overhead - though many of the other witnesses quoted did. Rather, the
pilots seemed to be describing watching it FALL to the ground: of all the
accounts, though, theirs may be most easily explained as simply watching a
fireball that continued to be visible below their local horizon. (Nothing
in the article allowed me to figure out whether these flyers were actually
in line of sight with Portales at the time of the fireball. So I'd assume
they were NOT... But if they were, then their account somehow needs to be
explained by other means, too, just like that of ground-based witnesses.)

Lew