[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: what does a meteorite look like?

Thanks for filling in the blanks for me Marco and Robert about the Old
Woman meteorite. You must understand I approach this from the
perspective of a miner/prospector (notice my address). Despite the fact
some may consider this find a national treasure, under American mining
laws they had made a " valuable discovery" and should have been protected
under 1872 Mining Law, as ammended.  The reason I bring up money in the
discussion is that prospectors by definition are looking for concentrations
of valuable minerals to improve their own standard of living, it doesn't
matter if it's one ton of diamonds, gold or one ton of iron, it's the market
value that's the test they are trying to meet.

      These guys didn't handle the problem very well and a good lawyer may
have made the difference. Does the actions and legal result mean that all
meteorites found on public lands belong to the Smithsonian? The offer for
compensation was too small and the demand at the time by the prospectors
was too much.  I think Robert has the right solution, show a photo and keep
quiet about the location.

                                                         Dave English
                                                         Oceanside, California

Follow-Ups: References: