[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Dark Adaption

That is cool.
I have noticed after looking at the bright moon with one eye, in the
telescope, that that one eye has lost it's dark adaption but the other eye
is still dark adapted.  But I never thought of using this to my advantage.
I just wonder what Pirate jokes I would get from the wife and kids if I were
to try wearing a patch at home before a telescope observing session.   ;-)

Robert Gardner wrote:

> Something came up in another egroup that might be of use to particularly
> telescopic meteor observers.  The dark adaptation of your eyes are
> independent of each other.  That means that if you put a dark patch over
> your observing eye for twenty or thirty minutes or more before your
> observing session that eye will be fully adapted to the dark.  I learned
> that from my old radiologist years ago.  He was always wearing this
> black patch over his right eye so he could observe the in the dark
> better.  Also one other member of the group from Brazil said that truck
> drivers during the approach to a tunnel close one eye so that they can
> see better in the tunnel.

Follow-Ups: References: