[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Dark Adaption

At 17:35 2/12/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi,
>  I am mostly a lurker but this thread, oh shall I say it?..dot caught my eye.
>I have tried the patch method for short to long periods of time and with
both eyes.  It does seem to help with viewing but I seem to lose all sense
of proportion and end up crashing into things.  It is very disorienting and
doesn't get any better with time.  Has anyone else had this experience?

Yes, I was going to mention this danger earlier but the more-experienced
folks speaking of their experiences with eye patches during observing gave
me pause; I'm certain we all understand that our depth perception is
virtually totally negated with only one eye. Some states will not even
license folks with just one eye for that reason. Most eye doctors will
caution patients to bring a "designated driver" to get them home when
certain procedures or tests are to be performed which will affect vision in
one or both eyes that badly.

Personally, I not only lose depth perception but also find myself wandering
off to the side of the road with one eye covered. Since that happened the
first time, I've always pulled to the side whenever possible when something
got caught in an eye, such as a fleck of dirt. I don't trust myself. I
suppose you can get used to it but it's still very dangerous as it takes
you much longer to decide just how far away something really is with just
one eye. Personally, I'd be really reluctant to try to drive into a
dark-sky site on a narrow trail through a woods and one eye covered.

SteveH