[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: The Bortle Dark Sky Scale and meteors?

Lew,

I feel that your suggestion is an excellent idea. I know for a fact that
my observing sites, especially at home, are rated less than perfect on
the Bortle scale yet I am still able to perceive faint stars. I feel
that this added information could help determine an observer's
perception. Probably not in a exact mathematical sense but enough to
categorize a person as having above or below average perception.

It would be interesting to see if those claiming to have a LM near +7.0
also possess a high rating on the Bortle scale. On the other end of the
spectrum it would also be interesting to see the ratings observers
estimate from home under LM's near +5.0 and worse.

The Bortle Scale is not available on line but is published in the
February issue of Sky & Telescope. For those who do not subscribe to Sky
& Telescope a copy of the February issue should be available is any well
stocked library.

I would encourage all observers to attempt to use the Bortle scale in
addition to your normal limiting magnitude estimates and to share your
results with others.

Clear Skies!

Robert Lunsford