[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Excerpts from "CCNet 29/2001 - 23 February 2001"

Sorry, folks, for the delay in forwarding items from last week...
I have forwarded this number of CCNet Digest to BOTH 'meteorobs'
and 'imo-news', as I thought it of significant general interest.

A fascinating issue, full of questions (and a few answers) raised
by the NEAR-Shoemaker mission! Note in particular the fascinating
idea (re?)proposed by Prof. Jeffrey Bell of University of Hawai'i!
I can't help but wonder to what extent the mechanism described by
Prof. Bell may be of significance for dust stream evolution models
currently being tested and developed for cometary objects?

Also note the exciting reference from Dr. Fred Singer on his long-
ago published predictions, regarding electrostatic dust transport
in the region of small bodies. I wonder to what extent these will
also be a significant factor for the much more complex comae which
surround active comet nuclei? If so, then that effect should also
have an important role in dust ejection models. Perhaps Rob, Peter
and/or Esko would care to comment on whether they already account
for this effect in their respective dust stream models?

It was only slightly disappointing Prof. Bell chose to ignore the
preferred nomenclature for meteorites vs. meteoroids - or is the
usage maybe different for some reason among planetary scientists?

Either way, both his ideas and those of Dr. Singer challenge the
meteorical community in TWO intriguing ways - one, in the devel-
opment of theoretical models. And two, perhaps of more interest
to amateur 'meteorobs' readers, they challenge us to imagine and
design experiments (that is, observational programs in meteors)
which may conceivably help test these ideas indirectly!

Clear skies,
Lew Gramer