[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Meteor crashes into Yorkshire field

Hi Andrei,

Some atmospheric electric discharge, either lightning or static electricity
related, could be the source of combustion of the highly inflamable peat
produced methane gas indeed. A spectacular "will-o'-the wisp" variant. The
slightly triangular outline of the hole on the photographs reminds me
actually of the often triangular or angular holes lightning strikes can
leave in surficial peat cover, but the inner hole surface of the Yorkshire
hole looks much more scorched. But indeed, let's wait for more details and
turn the attention to meteors again. Which is a bit difficult here in the
Netherlands, because it is bad weather for days now.

- Marco

---
Marco Langbroek                    private: marco.langbroek@wanadoodot nl
Leiden University                     work: m.langbroek@arch.leidenunivdot nl