[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) memorable meteors

Well I was looking for meteors but the "best" experience was just recently when I was treated to a phenominal aurorae!  I wasn't even using my scope - happened to be outside and the universe blessed me with the most fantastic NL show I have ever witnessed!  It was absolutely fantastic! A myriad of colors shifting....layering on other colors....blues... greens.... violet to dark purple.  I just stood there saying "WOW!"

  One rather
> humourous reply was a gentleman who somehow managed to get his face stuck to
> the side of his scope in very cold weather!!

Okay so who thought it was humourous? LOL
I admit I have had this happen twice.  I live in the mountains of Montana where it can get quite cold.  This brings many challenges to star gazing.
One night while observing I was freezing my butt off and my hands were really cold so I removed my gloves and blew on my hands and then placed one hand back on the scope.  I didn't realize I was "stuck" until I couldn't move my hand!  As I exerted more pressure my hand pulled away and I put the gloves back on to continue.  It was only when I went inside and took my gloves off did I realize I had left a few layers of skin on the 'scope!  And then as my hands warmed up it hurt like mad!  A tiny tear but somehow I ended up with blood everywhere once my hands were thawed.  Yes it was an idiotic thing to do - please don't email me and tell me believe me I know!
However I did have another experience despite being careful.  I was introducing a friend to the wonders of meteor watching when he accidentally bumped the tripod and the scope started to fall over as it was quite icy ground conditions.  Somehow in my efforts to catch the scope, which I did I managed to get my cheek stuck to the scope! Remembering my previous experience I had my friend take the scope....with my cheek attached into the house and once warm I was able to detach the scope with no harm done except for being dreadfully embarassed.  Oh the lengths we will go to view our world.
Jeanne