[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) memorable meteors

thanks for this suggestion jeff...

i'm rather 'new' to this side of skywatching, though i do remember once
going outside with my kids and the dog in a cold november to watch the
'shooting stars'...little did i know then about Leonids! we were living on
the NJ shore and we all laid down on a sand dune to watch the show!
unfortunately, it was too cold and it was too early in the evening to see
anything but it was a nice way to spend time with the kids. the dog was
there for the warmth, he wasn't very interested in skywatching!!

as i have said before on this list, for me the Leonids of '98 were a turning
point in my life. i was living in Istanbul at the time but made a special
effort to get to the western Aegean coast during the peak of the leonids in
'98 and for me, it was an experience of a lifetime! here in Assos, we're far
away from major population areas and no industry (in fact, this area has the
world's second highest oxygen levels!!)...what i observed that night was a
spectacle i'll never forget..dot it has been unrivaled to date for incredible
displays of nature (except for the august '99 earthquake in istanbul
however!!). this experience convinced me to move permanently to Assos, where
i'm living now.

i wrote to lew a while ago and said that if anyone wanted to come here to
watch any of the annual showers, i'd very happily try to help with
arrangements...this is a very inexpensive place to live/visit...the
accommodations are wonderful, the people are delightful, the food is fresh
and delicious and the weather's great...we can still swim in december! let
me know if i can give anyone more information, i'll be happy to oblige.

arlene in assos, tr.