[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Etching

tperry@geiworld.com writes:

My opinion is using nitric acid because it brings out brighter look than
ferric chloride. I tried with ferric chloride on my sliced gibeons and
it looks horrible so I switched over to nitric acid. It turned out to be
wonderful. Some says ferric chloride works on other kind of iron
meteorites such as CD or Campo. Oh well, I have not gone that far on any
other meteorites with ferric chloride.

If it looks terrible it probably means ou left the F.C. on too long. In some
cases it only takes a few seconds depending on the hardness of the specimen.
Also if you rub (vs. dabing(sp?)) the FC on it ruins the contrast . I assume
this is in response to the article in Meteorite! magazine. Take a look at
Hartmann's web site for a full breakdown of whats going on.

Kevin K