[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) memorable meteors

I suppose one of my most memorable meteor experiences happened 35 or 40
years ago (ulp!) when I was a little kid.  I was probably about 8 or 10
years old and "camping out" in the backyard one night with my neighbor, in a
little pup tent that was so short that our heads and feet stuck out the
ends.  I woke up about 3 or 4 AM and started watching the sky, with no more
real knowledge of the sky than most kids that age.  I remember watching a
tremendously bright object as it rose -- probably Venus or Jupiter, I would
guess -- but I also noticed meteor after meteor coming from the same place
in the sky.  By chance, we were outside during the Perseids!  I didn't know
then what I was watching, but I've always remembered that sense of wonder.
It's been a long time -- simple as it was, I guess it was pretty memorable!

Dave Hostetter