[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) memorable meteors

    Not exactly a memorable meteor, but a visual meteor observation program
called "Operation Perseid 1956".  Under that title, the Regina Astronomical
Society organized a Province wide program to observe this shower.  Seven
stations were set-up at various locations across the Province.  A total of
82 individuals took part over a number of days recording over 2800 meteors.
Two meteors were photographed with direct cameras and one Perseid spectrum
was secured.  The latter was the second spectrum obtained by the Regina
observers.  The first was in 1955.  A unique feature of this program was the
use of amateur radio, which was used to keep each observing group in real
time contact with each other.  This way, important information could be
exchanged about a particular meteor.  The transmissions of course contained
data on magnitude, direction, shower type etc.  We were soon joined in
conversation by radio amateurs around the world trying to determined what we
were up to and what the strange transmissions meant. I have often wondered
if we recruited any new meteor observers around the world as a result of
this program.  The observational report was published in the Journal of the
RASC Vol.51, No.2, Meteor News, by Peter M. Millman.

Ed Majden