[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) memorable meteors

Most Memorable Shower:  Perseids 1994, with a peak observed rate of 179 Perseids/hour from the Oregon Star Party on the morning of August 12.  It was like a faucet turned on, with the rates rising and the population index falling sharply in the early morning hours.  Lots of nice, bright meteors.

Most Memorable Meteor Event:  Leonids 1999; we didn't see a storm in W North America, but the shower was nice and had a couple of stunning fireballs.  This one is often referred to as "The Famous Five" by those who saw it: FIVE (or was it six?) bright Leonids streaking parallel to each other over the course of a couple seconds.  The brightest was -12 and left a train visible for 50 minutes. The next brightest was -3, and the others were 0 or +1.  Several observers in our club saw this from several different locations, but it was so shocking that all of our descriptions are woefully incomplete as to brightness, duration, and configuration.  Over a year later, I learned that a local photographer had captured this on film.  I may be getting a print soon...

Best non-meteor event during a shower:  Without a doubt, the aurorae during Perseids 2000.  Specifically the part where I saw all hell break loose.  Patches of light in motion all over the sky.  Then grand, marching colored pillars before dawn.

Most ignominious cloud-out:  Perseids 1999, where I drove east to the desert to get rained on.  Leonids 1998 is a close second.

Worst meteor observing moment: Perseids 1995, which I decided to observe in spite of a Full Moon.  Unfortunately, I met up with a spooked skunk along a narrow path, which left me with a lingering scent of failure and no meteor observing that night.

--
Wes Stone
Portland, OR

http://www.shopping.altavista.com