[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Memorable Meteor

I've enjoyed reading these memorable meteor stories. Here's one of mine:

It was during the Perseids of 1993. (Wasn't that the year it was well publicized?) As I drove toward my observing site I noticed a few cars headed to the top of 7,500 foot Mt. Ashland. I went a couple miles further to darker skies and settled in to watch with my family. After they had fallen asleep a brilliant green meteor of probably -6 flew half way across my field of view. It had the unusual characteristic of appearing to be very low in the atmosphere. It made me want to duck my head! The only disappointment was not having anyone awake to share the experience with. That feeling only lasted about ten seconds because suddenly I heard the roar of a far off crowd that sounded just like the home team had scored a touchdown. Apparently there was quite a star party going on at Mt. Ashland, with the emphasis on party.

Michael
Ashland, OR