[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Memorable meteors

I too have enjoyed this thread, as it has evoked many memories of long, sleepless and most enjoyable nights under the stars.  To me, the Leonids always produce the best of times (If you see them.)/worst of times (If you don't!) in the meteor arena.  It should come as no surprise that my number one is the Ls of '98:

1.  Leonids 1998 - What more can be said about this unbelievable experience?

2.  Perseids 1977 - Ranked as my number one of 21 years.  We were seeing 60 an hour BEFORE midnight from the beach north of St. Augustine, FL.  By the time dawn interefered, rates were going over 200 an hour!!  I had over 700 meteors for the night.

3. April Lyrids 1982 - What started out as something very mundane turned into something I was doubting my senses over!  Thank goodness others saw it, too!  Otherwise, I would still doubt my sanity!

4. 1981 Taurids - The incredible fireball year.  Imagine 3 to 4 fireballs an hour, all night long, for over a month!  That was the 1981 Taurids.

5.  Geminids 1980 - Rates over 120 an hour and a -10 fireball to end the night!

6. Leonids 1974 - My first good look at a major, starting with a -5 Leonid Earthgrazer that covered almost the entire sky!  Rates went to 40/hour before dawn.

7. April 17, 1974 - A -12 fireball in the eastern sky while I was out deep-sky observing.

The worst of times?  I've already forgotten about them...

Clear skies, Paul in north Flori-duh!