From: Matson, Robert
To: 'meteorobs@jovian.com'
Sent: Monday, March 12, 2001 5:12 PM
Subject: (meteorobs) Meteoroids that become meteorites - annual rate
 Hi Rosely,

As this topic is slightly off-charter for this forum, I'll keep
my reply short.  Just wanted to correct your annual fall figure:

> The total number of Meteorites that  collide with our planet is esteemed
in 500 a year ...

This is an old estimate that seems to be oft repeated, but is
quite erroneous.  The actual number is at least 30,000 per year,
and likely greater than 50,000 per year.

Best,
Rob

Follow-Ups: References: