[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Advice for meteor observers at altitude (3000m and above)

During the 1998 Leonids we observed from 3200-3300 meters altitude, in
China. I am now, with hindsight, beginning to think that this did influence
our visual performance. There were some peculiar effects: a very dark sky,
but Limiting magnitudes that did not got over a mere +6.6 while I would have
expected more in such a good situation. Also, as you were standing upright
you could indeed count a +7.0, but as soon as we laid down horizontally we
just didn't get that far and the sky background seemed to be a bit brighter.
I think low oxygen was responsible for these odd effects. Yet, it could have
been worse. We took the time to acclimatize - one day at 2600 meters, then
several days at 3200 meters before starting the observations. I would like
to add that this actually is a healthy thing to do if you do go observing at
altitude, while the opposite (not taking the time to acclimatize to the
altitude) is not. Although serious (=dangerous) altitude sickness problems
usualy start  above 3500 meters, some people are affected earlier. I think
it is definitely not a good idea for your observations and health to go up
to over 3000 meters altitude for an observational session, without
acclimatizing at least one day at altitude. Also note that such altitudes
get on you physically, even small exercise makes your heart go bump and gets
you out of breath - so you have to slow down your tempo and try to avoid
heavy activity. One team-member of us did not, and he got quite ill
(headaches etc.).

In the end, I hesitate to go to such altitudes for observations a second
time.

- Marco

---
Marco Langbroek                    private: marco.langbroek@wanadoodot nl
Leiden University                     work: m.langbroek@arch.leidenunivdot nl
Faculty of Archaeology
P.O. Box 9515
http://home.wanadoodot nl/marco.langbroek/
NL-2300 RA Leiden
The Netherlands

"What seest thou else
  In the dark backward and abysm of time?"

William Shakespeare: The Tempest act I scene 2
---