[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Stars

Robert and All,

The Antihelion radiant is easily 20 degrees across so it is a
possibility that the meteor you saw belonged to this source. The
anthelion and apex sources are quite large spanning at least 30 degrees
in Right Ascension (east-west). It is amazing that more activity is not
associated with these sources.

Clear Skies!

Bob Lunsford

Robert Gardner wrote:

> When I checked the sky at about 6:15 UT I was so pleased to see stars
> for the first time in a month that I got out my lawn chair and setup
> with winter clothes to just enjoy it.  The sky was its usual washed out
> and light polluted.  The seeing must have been very poor because
> Arcturus was doing a real dance.  I had to endure the neighbors turning
> on and off their outdoor lights and at one point their studio lights
> which are bright enough that I could read a newspaper by them.  At times
> I shielded my face from them by holding up a star atlas which also
> shielded me from part of the cold sky.  It felt warm.  I could barely
> see Spica.  At about 6:40 UT I was rewarded by a nice second magnitude
> meteor.  I thought it might be an antihelion meteor but a subsequent
> check of star maps indicated it wasn't unless the radiant of these
> meteors is an area over 20 degrees in diameter.  I sat there and enjoyed
> the moon rise till about seven UT.  I am located in Southern California
> near Pasadena. West 118o 03.5' North 34o 07.5'  for those who want to
> know. 8-)      Robert G.

Follow-Ups: References: