From: Peter Bealo <p...>
To: Amateur Telescope Makers of Boston <atmob-announce...>
Subject: (ATMoB:Announce) Ron Dantowitz quoted on AP and Drudge
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 18:16:54 -0500

Look who's quoted a couple paragraphs from the end...
our own Ron Dantowitz!!

Peter Bealo

Caution. This e-mail message contains minute electrically charged
particles moving at velocities in excess of five hundred million m.p.h.

Mir Chasers Head to South Pacific
Russians Gather To View Mir Re-Entry - (Reuters)

By RAY LILLEY, Associated Press Writer

NADI, Fiji (AP) - Rick and Bob Citron will have just 200 seconds to =
glimpse the dream of a lifetime: the final fiery moments of the Russian =
Mir space station (news - web sites) as it plunges to the Earth.=20

The brothers are leaders of a mission of 50 space buffs and scientists =
who plan to chase the Mir in planes during its final moments over the =
South Pacific on Friday. The expedition is driven by the dream of =
catching and recording for history and science the Mir's last minutes =
before it hits the waves.=20

``Nobody else is going to be there. We're it. We are the only people on =
Planet Earth who will see the Mir re-entry,'' said Bob Citron, 68, a =
retired space engineer and ballistics expert from Seattle, who is =
leading the expedition.=20

The Citrons are confident they will see the Mir, despite the seemingly =
huge odds against them. With a window of just 200 seconds and a drop =
zone covering thousands of miles of ocean, the brothers insist they will =
be there.=20

``God bless all of you who think we're on a wild goose chase,'' Bob =
Citron said.=20

``I don't care what anybody thinks. I'm here to see the Mir re-entry, =
I'm spending a small fortune to see it and we have the best technology =
in the world,'' he added.=20

There is one caveat - clouds, which could obscure their view aboard =
aircraft flying within 200 miles of Mir's flight path.=20

``The probability of seeing Mir is very high, and of seeing the break up =
is very high indeed, unless there are abnormal cloud conditions,'' said =
Rick Citron, 56, a Los Angeles lawyer.=20

``Nobody in the world is going to get the shots we're going to get. =
Nobody else knows where to be to capture them,'' he said of the =
expedition. About 50 people are paying about $6,500 each, slightly more =
for a window seat, for a package that includes a few nights on the =
Pacific island of Fiji.=20

The expedition was trying Wednesday to hire a third plane, a faster and =
higher-flying jet, to increase its chances of success. The two other =
planes involved are both turboprop planes.=20

Adding a jet would enable the mission to change position quickly if the =
final burns of Mir's braking rockets push it further south than =
currently expected.=20

``We'll be in direct contact with Mir's mission control so we can =
recalculate in the air when and where it is going to happen so we can =
move the aircraft'' to be there, Rick Citron said.=20

The three planes will form a line, horizon-to-horizon stretching to the =
south, alongside the re-entry path and in close contact as their =
200-second ``viewing window'' occurs.=20

Bob Citron has calculated the final re-entry trajectory of the station. =
He revealed the details to expedition members at a closed briefing =
Wednesday at their resort hotel.=20

He calculates the final re-entry will happen about 2,000 miles south of =
Fiji, with the uncertainty of the de-orbit burn's length adding up to =
1,000 miles to that positioning.=20

Final orbit data will come from Russian tracking stations, and the =
planes will have about an hour and a half to get into position, the =
brothers said.=20

``We will be as close to the right place at the right time as humans can =
be,'' Bob said.=20

The expedition expects to document the Mir as it burns up and the =
surviving pieces plunge into the ocean.=20

Aeronautical engineer and astronomer Ron Dantowitz of Brookline, Mass., =
said spectrum analysis would show which materials burned in the =
atmosphere and the time sequence of the burn-up.=20

``This is a piece of science which will record the event in true detail. =
We can actually document the breakup of the space station in detail. It =
will be a treasure trove of information,'' he said.  (Bealo =
comment...let me guess now, I bet the OUTSIDE burns up before the =
INSIDE! And I didn't have to spend $$ to go or anything.)

Expedition member Greg Klerkx, 39, of San Francisco, says he and the =
others know they may not see the Mir.=20

``We're prepared for that,'' said Klerkx, director of the Search for =
Extra Terrestrial Intelligence Institute. ``There's a good chance we =
will see it. I am (also) fascinated by the science, because Mir was a =
groundbreaking stage of the space age. This is its end and I will be =
there.''=20

The atmob-announce list is for use by ATMoB members to post club
related annoucements such as meetings, star party, club house, and
area happenings. Please use the atmob-discuss list for general
astro discussions, observations, questions, etc...