[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Another bright SoCal meteor?

Hi All,

I heard a lot of buzz on late night television news stations,
and again this morning on what was probably a very bright
meteor off the southern California coast last night.  Many
people called in to police and radio stations reporting a
downed aircraft in the vicinity of Long Beach Harbor, but
no wreckage was found nor were any aircraft reporting
missing.  They concluded that it had to have been a meteor.
It was observed from as far north as San Luis Obispo.  Did
anyone else see it (I did not)?

While waiting for a relatively bright satellite (a GPS
rocket booster) to make a near zenith pass of Torrance, CA
last night at 19:30 PST, I observed what I assumed to be a
fast, short-duration sporadic meteor (mag ~2), heading
roughly northbound.  Sky location was approx. RA 9h, Dec +35
(i.e. about 15 degrees east of zenith).  Don't suppose
this matches up with any of the currently active sources.

Cheers,
Rob (from 33.8378N, 118.3084W)