[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Automated Meteor Observing

Rob,

> If using an intensifier is too difficult or costly, you should try an
> ultra-miniture (these things are TINY) high sensitivity Watec 902H (the NTSC
> version has a different code I believe) which with AGC Hi gives 0.0003 lux
> at f/1.4.  It is no intensifier, but is much better than most "low light
> level" security cameras.  In Australia they cost A$500.
> To use a Watec (or any other Video-C or CS mount) camera, it is probably
> better to use a fast 35mm camera lens rather than the short focus video
> lenses.

in fact, c-mount lenses are readily available at even lower f-stops
than 1.4. The fastest ones I know of are 0.85 TV lenses by FUJINON. Until
recently they were even produced for 1" ccd cameras, i.e. they illuminate
a circular field of up to 16 mm in diameter and can be used for both
normal and intensified cameras with photocathodes of 16 or 18 mm.
Detlef Koschny has been using 0.85/25mm wide angle lenses for his image
intensified video cameras at ESA (check "Testing the Fujinon lens" at
http://planetary.so.estec.esadot nl/meteors/), and two new miniature video
meteor cameras that Mirko Nitschke currently constructs for the AKM will
also be equipped with these lenses. First light will be in about a month.

We got the FUJINON lenses at a special price of about US$ 200, but I'm
not sure whether they are still sold. Try to compare that with the price
of the fastest photographic wide-angle lens there is (the 1.4/24mm of
Canon)...

Cheers,
Sirko

> PS for Sirko: Send the blank cheque to my work address ;)

Was your share 10%, Rob? =:-)

--
*  Dipl.-Inform. Sirko Molau                  *                          *
*  RWTH Aachen, Lehrstuhl fuer Informatik VI  *              __          *