[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) SoCal bolide + dim meteor

Hello Rob,

<< You probably mean 19:30 PST (4:30 UT on the 27th).  If so,
 I reported a relatively dim (magnitude 2) fast-moving
 meteor at that time.  It was nothing special, lasting
 less than 0.4 seconds and covering about 10 degrees of
 arc.  Definitely unrelated to the 8:20pm PST bolide. >>

Well, yes, yours was one of the three! <g>  I think I saw your 19:30 PST and
it so closely matched my other reports of (7:30 PM) 19:30 UT on the 26th that
I automatically considered them to be the same event.  I sent the URL to the
LA Times story to my other witnesses, and they said it sounded like what they
saw, but they felt certain that they saw the "bluish-green fireball" at 7:30
PM, rather than 8:20PM.  Maybe the 7:30 meteor was more lively over Orange
County?  At any rate, they reported it as bright, and heading north at a
quick pace towards the ocean.  It does appear that there were two meteors for
the 26th.  I've asked my other witnesses to file a Fireball Report with IMO.
Thanks for your help!

Best Wishes,

Cinde Costello
MUFON-San Bernardino County