[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Aurigids

Hi, everyone,

Could someone still remember the article about the possible Aurigids radiant
in Leonids periods which I wrote here in this February?

After sending that article, there were many replies. But the most helpful
one might be Rainer's. He told me there was another paper about Aurigids in
Leonids periods in WGN. Till the other day, I just found a photocopy of it.
It was "Possible New Radiant in Auriga on November 17, 1998" by Detlef
Koschny and Joe Zender, and was published on WGN, the Journal of the IMO,
27:1 (1999), pp 51-52.

I gave out the coordinate of the radiant in my last article, it was

AUP
  Active : November 16-20;
  Maximum: November 17/18 (or later soon, it can last a few days);
  ZHR    = 20 (between 5 and 60, it's most possible to be 10 to 25);
  Radiant: Alpha=76 deg; Delta=+36 deg. (Comprehensive result, to max.);
  V      = unknown (about 60 km/s, perhaps);
  r      = unknown (2.5, tentative);
  Remarks: Alpha=70 deg; Delta=+35 deg; (Huan Meng,1998 Nov. 16th/17th)
           Alpha=80 deg; Delta=+37 deg; (Huaiming Sun, 1999 Nov. 15th/16th)
           Alpha=75 deg; Delta=+43 deg; (Huan Meng, 1999 Nov. 17th/18th)
           Alpha=74 deg; Delta=+42 deg; (Sixiaoxiao Ning, 1999 Nov.
17th/18th)
           Alpha=73 deg; Delta=+45 deg; (Xuefei Gong, 1999 Nov. 17th/18th)
           AUP: Aurigids-Perseids.

And the coordinate of D. Koschny and J. Zender was

Alpha=77+-1 deg; Delta=+35+-2 deg.

Now, let's have a comparison

Mine:                                    Alpha=76 deg; Delta=+36 deg (for
Nov.17)
D. Koschny and J. Zender's: Alpha=77+-1 deg; Delta=+35+-2 deg (for Nov.17,
too)

How similar! They were even exactly the same! So I think they must be the
same one!

Another one I want to state: when I did the work for the radiant, I didn't
know the work of D. Koschny and J. Zender at all; when other plotter and I
was plotting, all of us didn't know where the radiant which would be
discovered in the future was. It means there are no subjectivity in our
plots. And I sorted out the data and discovered the possible new radiant in
December, 2000; it was later than the lastest Leonids.

Sirko had advised me to check the video data which were made in Leonids
periods; I agreed with his view. I think it's necessary for a possible new
radiant to check more video data. But to my regret, I haven't done it yet.

If we also got the same support data, could we say "a new radiant is
discovered"? Or now, we have been able to say that?

All best wishes and Clear skies!
Huan Meng   meteorobs@263dot net