[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) AMS Website featured in SCIENCE magazine

How about some good news from me....

The American Meteor Society web site is one of the four sites featured in
this week's (23 March 2001) SCIENCE magazine column called "Netwatch," on
page 2281.

The 1/4 page article is entitled "Shooting Star Gallery" (??), and the
reporter does make a few mistakes:  Gary's last name is spelled Kronks,
meteor spectra are said to give information on "speed" rather than
*composition*, and no credit is given to P. Spurny, (Astronomical
Institute, Ondrejov Observatory) for the use of their exceptional fireball
photograph --> which they took off of our site, but which I credit FULLY on
our site.

Despite my picking nits, however, the little article is quite positive in
nature and I am grateful for the recognition.  JIm Bedient and Gary Kronk
should both take a bow for their hard work.  Hopefully, the write-up on the
site will help to point a few more amateurs and professionals in the
direction of meteor astronomy.

Of course, Murphy's law dictated that we would ALSO have a domain problem
this week (gad!), but this should clear itself up quickly.  I have also
been notified that while the site displays correctly on new versions of
Internet Explorer and Netscape; pictures, picture captions, and the button
column are mis-aligned or not placed side-by-side in older versions of
these browsers.  I'll see what I can do to make the display as universal as
possible over the next few days.

Comments, suggestions, or questions are welcome from all.

Best regards,

      Jim