[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: {MPML} comet LINEAR 2001 A2 outburst

It's interesting to compare this comet with other intrinsically
faint long-period comets.  In the latest issue of my
newsletter "Comet Tales", I compared C/2001 A2 with
C/1993 Y1 (McNaught-Russell) and C/1999 J3 (LINEAR),
which both "turned on" prior to perihelion inside Earth's
orbit.

A month ago, I was speculating on something around
6th magnitude, but will gladly enjoy something brighter :)
Cernis reported an estimate of 6.8 shortly after Michael's.
If the last 48 hours isn't a temporary outburst, May/June
is looking very good.

Regards,
Greg Bryant