[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) comet LINEAR 2001 A2 outburst

Just got back from observing this "incredible brightening comet"
before a Kona rainstorm blasted in... My estimate (based on
Tycho2 comp stars) on Mar 31.27 is magnitude 7.4 - thats over 3
magnitudes brighter than my last estimate 48 hours ago !!!

This is totally amazing. The comet has hardly moved much closer
to the sun in that short time span. It seems like it is "alive" with
some of its own internal source of energy (?) I've never seen
anything like it before!

If you have any chance at all - take a look at this thing!!! Its an
easy binocular object now, about halfway between kappa Orionis
(the lower left of its 4 main bright stars)  and gamma Monocerocids.

Who knows what it will do next? Become visible by naked eye
tomorrow???

Sorry for the slightly off-topic post. But comets are the parents of
meteors, eh?

Mike Linnolt