[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Comet A2 outburst status.

On 31 Mar 2001, at 17:07, janfries@juno.com wrote:

> I'm going to be on Kona from April 6 through 9.  Any suggestions as to a
> good dark sky site if you don't climb the volcano?  And good times for
> viewing?

The second question is easy - The comet is best visible right after
end of evening twilight, thats when Orion is highest in the south.

Regarding where to observe in Kona. I am not as familiar with that
island as some others. However, if you want the best view, bar
none, take the 1.5 hour drive from Kailua town up to the Onizuka
visitors center at the 9000' level of Mauna Kea.

Second best is to observe from a place called "Waikii". Its just a
small ranch area along the western end of the saddle road, a few
miles up from its junction with Hwy 190. This area is less cloudy
than the Kona coast, and sky nearly as good as the mountain
(Bortle class 1-2).

If your just plain lazy, you can always take your chances from the
resorts along North Kona/Waikoloa, just get away from the lighted
areas and find a place to park...You may be clouded in more often
than not, though.

Good Observing!
Mike Linnolt

Follow-Ups: References: