[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Aurora Borealis Alert!!

At 14:09 1/04/01 , you wrote:
>Very dumb off topic question:  Has anyone ever HEARD the northern lights?
> I swore I could hear them as a little girl in Alaska, but I think it had
>to be my imagination.
>
>Jan Fries
>Carnation, Wa
The electrophonic sounds from the aurorae are better established than
those from meteors, because the audio frequency electromagnetic
output of Aurorae are well established. As experiments have shown there
are plenty of mechanisms to convert some of the energy of such
waves to sound, and hence allow one to hear it.
Tony Beresford