[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) re C/2001 A2 "debris"

Huan Meng wrote:

>             BTW, I can't understand all the data you gave, and what does
the word "prog"
>             mean, or what is it short for? I cannot find it in any
dictionary.

>             OK, I won't ask you how it worked. But could you please put
the signs such
>             as "-Q", "-B", "Q+"...into the words I'm able to understand,
too?

"prog" is slang for "program"... ...sorry, my bad.

Okay, the stuff in the earlier post preceded by ">" characters is a direct
cut and paste from a program output, said program using these terms to
denote different methods of determination.

I can't remember what half of them are, I didn't write the program, but
even if I could this probably wouldn't be of much assistance.

For instance, the "Q" method is the "perihelion adjustment" method, I
think, probably stemming back to Hasegawa first, maybe.  The W characters
stand for the "argument of perihelion" adjustment method.  This is probably
no more enlightening to you than just plain "Q" and "W".  The minus an plus
symbols denote whether the solution is for the pre or post perihelic arc of
the comet's orbit, with respect to our orbit.

These are all various methods thought up over the years in an attempt to
assess how any cometary debris' orbit can interact with the Earth's.  They
are methods, rather than rules, and probably different authorities would
argue as to which method had more validity in terms of real world models.

Finally, I note that the "most likely" radiant points exist about 45
degrees due south of the sun in mid-July from my mid northen latitude, so I
don't reckon any of us will see any putative meteors with the eyeball :(

Cheers

John